Search This Blog

Posts

Posts

Thursday 18 June 2015

Feeders

A topic that came up at Image Therapy recently was people who, without asking, plonk a bit of cake
etc. down with your cup of tea. You’re then faced with a really difficult situation and could end up
eating something you don’t really want using valuable Syns on something just because you don’t
want to appear rude. I always remember the advice of a friend about twenty years ago who said
they used a tactic when faced with something that had the prospect of taking them off plan and
that’s “I will have it, just not now” I can clearly remember using it at Easter once, years ago, when the boss
brought in Cadburys Crème Eggs for everyone. I didn’t really want use my points (Weight Watchers
at the time) on it but didn’t want to appear rude so said Thank you I’ll have that later! It sat in my
drawer for weeks until I really wanted it. I wasn’t denying myself it, just choosing not to eat it there
and then and sabotage my weight loss. When I eventually ate it I really enjoyed it! Similarly recently I
had two Cadbury’s Crunchies in my top cupboard I’d been given about four months ago, which I’d
saved for when I got to target, they were delicious when I eventually ate them.

I’ve also used this at work, although if I’m honest my colleagues (mostly) are great and don't try and
force cakes and biscuits on me. They have learnt over time if I say no I mean no. They will often now suggest I take a cake home for my son, which I have done in the past.

It can be difficult, I think you can sometimes end up feeling apologetic and embarrassed even by
refusing treats from family, friend and colleagues. If someone who is just a healthy eater refuses
chocolate goodies they are rarely cajoled or pestered to have one but the fact you’re on a “diet”
sometimes makes some people think they have the right to try and pressure you into eating something
you’d rather not. Slimming World doesn’t have banned food, so if you’re offered a treat and you want
it, then  Syn it and enjoy. If, however, you’d rather not then don’t feel embarrassed to say no, to ask
people not to automatically plonk cake down with your cuppa, or not to bang on relentlessly that
one chocolate chip muffin wont hurt! I find when my head is in the right place I don’t even want
those things really. I could have one, but that would be in place of a nice glass of wine with dinner,
or the Syns I’d planned into that evenings meal. It’s all about choices, and I’d chose wine over
chocolate cake just about 99% of the time.

So if you feel awkward about saying no, or asking people not to just give you stuff without asking
give the “I will have it, just not now.” method a go! “Thanks, I’ll have that later” means there’s no
immediate moaning at you for not eating it, you can save it for later. If it’s perishable you can always
take it home for someone in the family who might enjoy it! “I’ll really enjoy that after my dinner
tonight when I’ve got a sweet tooth, thanks” I’ve even just taken things home in the past and binned
them rather than just say no. The first few times it happens can be difficult and you feel like you have to explain or justify yourself. The more you do it the more of a natural response it becomes and people will offer you treats but not pester you if you refuse. Have the confidence in yourself to say no if you don't want it, or Syn it in if you do. It's your choice.

Never be afraid to stand up for yourself, they soon get the message if you stand firm! It’s your choice, your body and your weight loss! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment